Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Farewell to a dear friend!

For those of you who don't know, this is "Bear." He and Evan have been inseparable for the past two and a half years. Evan received him as an Easter gift from his great, great Aunt Bee his first Easter and fell in love with him instantly! He drug "Bear" everywhere. He has been re-sewn so many times, I have lost count! He has even lost his head a few times! Sometimes he needed a patch job in the middle of the night so Evan could go back to sleep! As a result, "Bear" is now threadbare! There are holes in him that are irreparable (believe me, we've tried!) After much discussion, Evan has decided that it is time for a new bear, as long as it can have the blanket from the original bear (this is the most crucial part of "Bear").

So last night we took a family trip to Build-a-Bear! Evan chose his very own bear and helped stuff him. Then he gave it an air bath and chose a shirt for it to wear. Then the new bear received a name and birth certificate. Evan named his new bear "Bear" (were we surprised by this?) I attached the blanket from the old bear when we got home and it was love at first sight! Evan slept with his new bear last night and all seems well.
I think I miss the old bear more than Evan does! We all got very used to seeing the two of them together!



Anyway, here's to three years with a dear friend! Though you have been replaced physically, you will never be replaced in our hearts!!

8 comments:

Deborah Luty Ellis (Debbie) said...

What a great looking new bear. Evan, I'm sure you will miss the old bear but the new one will be just as fun after you have had him for a while.

Grandpa,

Kerry

hknight said...

Okay that is soooo sweet. I love that cute little story! It's sad to part with an old friend! And it's true that sometimes, things mean more to mom than to kidlets! Hope new "bear" is as great of friend as old!

Anonymous said...

That is one handsome guy...the bear...and the kid. Way to make a new transition, thank heaven for Build A Bear!

Jim Tiff and Kidlets said...

Bears rule! Yogi, Smokey, The Chicago. etc. etc.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad to see bear leave. The new bear is so cute. Evan is getting so big. My grandma gave Luke a bear like that and I am trying to decide If I should even introduce them. Hope you enjoy new bear just as much, and that you can get in a few middle of the night washing jobs.

malia said...

That is the cutest little story about "Bear". It is hard to replace those things...if you ever actually do. I think even when new Bears come in and out of your life, you never really forget the first one. Darling pictures. Darling process. Thanks for sharing.

T Shaw said...

WOW - A new "Bear?" I can't believe it! This would make a great children's book, or LifeTime Movie :)

Warden Family said...

Such a touching story! Farewell, bear! You will always be remembered.