Monday, December 31, 2007

The Joys of Parenthood. . .

I guess it is cold and flu season, but you always hope it will skip your family! Well, it didn't! Christmas day, Dillon started coughing and had a runny nose. We let it go for a couple of days, hoping it was just a cold, but it didn't get any better. We took him to the after hours clinic at the pediatrician's office and they gave us a nebulizer and some medicine to help clear his breathing. The Dr. said he couldn't be sure that it wasn't RSV so he wanted to cover all the bases, just in case. Dillon really enjoys the brething treatments. . .after about 7 treatments now, he can finally sit through it without screaming! Anyway, after a day of giving breathing treatments to Dillon, Evan started coughing and had a runny nose and a fever. He came and asked us if he could get ready for bed at 6:30 in the evening. We knew he wasn't feeling well if he actually wanted to go to bed! So we read some stories and sang some songs and he went to sleep. His cough kept getting worse through the night and at about 4:00 in the morning, he threw up because he was coughing so much! After taking apart his bed. . .twice. . .he was able to get some good sleep and felt better the next day. Now both boys are on the mend, but still have a little bit of a cough hanging on. . .I guess these are just some of the many joys of parenthood!

3 comments:

The Eldredge's said...

I'm glad you guys had a good Christmas and that the boys are feeling better. It is so scary when they get sick. You feel so helpless because you want to take away the pain and you can't and they don't understand what's happening to them so it is just awful all around!! Kennadee was sick for Christmas 2 years ago and that was completely miserable. Well I hope things are great for you guys! Love ya lots!!
-Maria

Kerry Ellis said...

I'm sorry to here the boys were sick and glad to here they are getting better. Dillon could be my twin when I go to sleep at night. I don't like it much either but it helps.

Love,

Grandpa Ellis

malia said...

oh laura! that stinks! I am so sorry. what a good parent you are...and ben too. i am glad to hear that they are on the mend. just make sure that you are taking care of yourself too. man! reading your blog makes me miss you! i haven't met your little guys either. :(